Thursday, February 5, 2015

Anne of the Island by L. M. Montgomery Book Review!

I recently finished Anne of the Island, the third book in the Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery. I like to think of it as "The Book Which Everyone Wants to Marry Anne" Well, not everyone but she gets proposed to five times in this book. This is probably my second favorite book of the series.

SPOILERS ALERT!!!

Anne leaves Green Gables and goes to Redmond college along with Gilbert Blythe and Priscilla Grant. Anne and Priscilla befriend a girl named Phillipa Gordon, who is described as being very beautiful. Diana Gets married to Fred Wright, and Anne finds out more about her parents.


I first want to talk about the thing with Ruby Gillis. I now understand what people were talking about on Tumblr. Yes, Ruby died. I didn't think I'd mind to much because I didn't care for Ruby all that much, but when she died I cried quite a bit.

The whole thing with Anne and Gilbert was painful to me. It was like watching the second movie and waiting three hours for them to kiss and FINALLY get together, but in this case I waited forty-one chapters. The ending is my favorite part of the book for obvious reasons.

I like the parts with Davy and Dora. Davy definitely get's himself in a pickle. He doesn't go to church to defy Rachel Lynde to go play with his friends and blackmails Dora into going with them. I felt so bad for Dora. She was so miserable. Davy then becomes so full of guilt he confesses to Anne. I scene I thought was interesting was when Davy tells Anne that he heard someone say a swear word and that he wanted to say it to even though he knew it was wrong. Anne tells him to say it and when he does he's so guilty and repentant and pretty much scares him into never swearing again. I just found that part to interesting for some reason.

I also thought the part when Anne found the house where her parents lived was pretty cool.

Phillipa Gordon is an interesting character. She is very outgoing (maybe a little more Anne, if that's possible), and comes of to seem a little spoiled, which she kind of is. She can't decide which of the two guys she likes to marry, but eventually marries a doctor. Phillipa isn't my favorite character of the book but I like her just fine.

This was a great book. It's one of the best books in the series in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment