Thursday, February 5, 2015

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery Book Review!



I'm finally going to review Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. One of my favorite books of all time! 

SPOILERS!!! 

The book takes place in the fictional town of Avonlea in Plinces Edward Island, and is about a girl named Anne Shirley who is adopted by Marilla Cuthbert and her brother Matthew who originally wanted a boy, but keep Anne anyway. Over the course of the book, Anne gets into a lot of trouble in some very amusing ways.

Anne is one of my favorite heroins in fiction. She's talkative, imaginative, a hopeless romantic, and has a bad temper. Anne is almost always getting into trouble. I love the part when she tried to dye her red hair black but it turned green instead. I also love the part when Anne is laying down in a boat and it starts sinking. It crosses under a bridge and Anne is hangs onto the bridge and Gilbert comes to the rescue. I love that part but I like it more in the movie then in the book.

I love Gilbert Blythe! I love him with Anne! The first time we meet Gilbert he is when teases Anne about her red hair and calls her "Carrots". Anne retaliates by smashing his slate on his head so hard it shatters. Through out the book Anne holds a grudge against Gilbert after that, but they eventually become friends by the end of the book.

Diana Barry is Anne's best friend. Diana isn't as imaginative as Anne is, and described as being very pretty with raven black hair. I like the friendship between Anne and Dianna.

I love Marilla and Matthew. Matthew is a shy, quiet man who never married. Matthew likes Anne right away and the two become fast friends. Marilla is the one in charge of Anne. She's hard and strict, but eventually warms up to Anne.

I don't really like Rachel Lynde to much. She's very Candor (divergent reference!), Out spoken, and gossipy. She openly insults Anne's looks and, Anne insults her back. Rachel and Marilla have an unlikely friendship.

L. M Montgomery's writing style is fantastic. I love how she described Avonlea and Prince Edward Island. She made it look so beautiful, and is one of the main reasons why I want to go there.

I love this book so much! I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment