Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Nancy Drew #5: The Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn Keene Book Review!

Hi guy!

Time for another Nancy Drew review! This time I'm reviewing the fifth book in the series: The Secret of Shadow Ranch. The book was originally published in 1931 and was titled Secret "at" Shadow Ranch, but I own the 1960's rewrite, so I'm going to review that version.

Nancy goes to Phoenix, Arizona with her best friends Bess Marvin and Bess's her cousin George Fayen to stay at Shadow Ranch, which is owned by Bess and George's aunt and uncle. Some weird things are happening at Shadow Ranch, for one thing there's a phantom hoarse is haunting the ranch, and an outlaw named Dirk Valentine supposedly hid treasure for his girlfriend back in the late 1800's and has yet to be found. And Bess and George's cousin Alice tries to find her missing father.

This is the first book to introduce Bess and George. I love Nancy friendship with the cousins. Even though Bess and George are very close, there are also polar opposites. Bess is a girly-girl who gets scared easily. George is kind of a tomboy who doesn't scare easy. I noticed that Nancy kind of balances Bess and George out. Nancy can be girly at times, but she's also not afraid to get her hands dirty. Out of all of Nancy's sidekicks, I love Bess and George the most (or maybe it's a tie between them and Ned).

I like that some of the parts from the book were in the PC game based off the book. On a side note: If you have not played any of the Nancy Drew games by HeR Interactive, I highly recommend you do. They're amazing, and they follow the books really well.

The mystery was pretty much the same as it is in the game. People are after Dirk Valentine's treasure and Nancy has to find it first. I also like that the part where Nancy finding Dave in the spring house appeared in the game.

I like the places they go to in this book. I love the ghost town, and the cliff dwellings the most.

That's all I have to say. 

Until Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment